As a Windows based audio video editing program, it stands to reason that Sony Vegas should import, open and play AVI (a common video format under Windows) . However, various issues occur when importing AVI in Sony Vegas 16/15/14/13/12/11 in Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP.
- Known problems when Sony Vegas dealing with AVI files
- Why Sony Vegas Can’t Import AVI files?
- Fix Sony Vegas AVI problems – Install missing codecs
- Fix Sony Vegas AVI problems – Convert AVI to Sony Vegas Supported Video
Known problems when Sony Vegas dealing with AVI files
- When importing AVI to Sony Vegas, popup message says missing codec error.
- No video in Sony Vegas when importing an .avi, only audio.
- Sony Vegas no video when importing an .avi file (ONLY sound). Installing every possible codec still could not solve the problems.
- Importing AVI files into Sony Vegas I could only see the audio. After installing Divx and Xvid codec, AVI problem solves temporarily. Then Xvid codec won’t work and there is no video for AVI files in Sony Vegas.
- Sony Vegas has problems of importing AVI recording from DXG-5F9VK HD 1080p 3D Camcorder.
Why Sony Vegas Can’t Import AVI files?
Audio Video Interleaved (also Audio Video Interleave), known by its initials AVI, is a multimedia container format that stores video data that may be encoded in a variety of video codecs including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 (A) SP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, VC-1/WMV, RealVideo/Theora, Microsoft MPEG-4 V2, VP8, and audio codecs including MP3, WMA, RealAudio, AAC, AC-3, DTS, PCM, LPCM. Normally, Vegas has absolutely no problem with AVI files as long as there’s an underlying codec installed. However, if there is no corresponding video or audio codec installed on your computer, you will fail to import or play AVI to Sony Vegas.
How to Fix Sony Vegas Won’t Import AVI files
To fix the headache “Sony Vegas Won’t Import AVI files” issue, one method is to download and install the missing codecs on your computer, the other method is to convert AVI files to Sony Vegas supported video MP4, WMV, AVI, DV, MPEG-2.
Method 1: Install missing codecs
Installing missing codecs in fact is installing AVI Codec Pack, DivX H.264 Decoder and FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder. This method installs several kinds of codecs which may brings unknown issues for your computer.
- Download and install AVI Codec Pack Pro. Then open Sony Vegas to import AVI files. Make sure you close and reopen Sony Vegas if it already opens when you installing the codecs.
- If installing AVI Codec Pack Pro can’t solve your problem, you will need to download DivX H.264 Decoder and FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder.
If Sony Vegas still cannot import AVI files after you install AVI Codec Pack or you have some concerns installing codecs, you can refer to Method 2 to successfully import AVI to Sony Vegas.
Method 2: Convert AVI to Sony Vegas supported video WMV, AVI, MP4, MPEG-2, DV
By converting the unsupported AVI to Sony Vegas supported video WMV, AVI, MP4, MPEG-2 or DV, you can easily import AVI to Sony Vegas for editing.
Make Preparation: Download and install Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate
Free download the professional AVI to Sony Vegas Converter – Aiseesoft Video Converter Ultimate. and run it.
Step 1 Add AVI files
Click “Add File” button to add AVI files to Aiseesoft AVI to Sony Vegas Converter. Or you can also drag and drop your MP4 files directly to the main interface of this powerful AVI to Sony Vegas Converter.
Step 2 Set Sony Vegas supported video format
Click the “Profile” drop-down arrow to open the profile list, and find the category of “Adobe Prepiere/Sony Vegas”. The you can set Sony Vegas compatible video “WMV(VC-1) Video(*.wmv)” or MPEG-2 Video(*.mpg)” or “MOV(AVC) Video(*.mov)”
To import high definition AVI video like 1080p, 720p to Sony Vega, select WMV HD, AVI HD, or MPEG-4 HD from “HD Video” Category.
Step 3 Convert AVI to Sony Vegas supported video format
Click “Convert” button to start and finish converting AVI to Sony Vegas supported video MP4, WMV, AVI, DV, MPEG-2.
Step 4 Import to play AVI in Sony Vegas
When the conversion is finished, simply click “Open Folder” to get the converted AVI videos, and then drag them to the timeline of Sony Vegas Pro. It’s that easy to solve “Sony Vegas won’t play AVI” issue as well as “Sony Vegas AVI no video” issue.