iOS 6.1, the 1st major update to iOS 6 since its release on September 2012 was finally out on Jan 28, 2013 for free update for all users of iPhone 5, iPod touch 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod touch 4G, new iPad 4, iPad mini, iPad 3 and iPad 2.
Updating to iOS 6.1 brings cool new features such as LTE support, movie tickets purchasing with Siri, downloading individual songs from iCloud for iTunes Match subscribers and new button for resetting the Advertising Identifier.
Updating to iOS 6.1 also brings several headache problems:
- iPod touch/iPhone 5 stuck in recovery mode and unable to exit out of recovery mode. Connecting to iTunes to try to restore but failed.
- iOS 6.1 failed verification because you are no longer connected to the internet although your WIFI is strong
- Updated iPhone 5 to 6.1 and messages aren’t working
- Bad battery issues on iPhone 5, iPhone 4S/4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPod touch 5, iPod touch 4 since the 6.1 update. Battery life drained very fast, went down from 100% to zero in 2 hours.
- Since the iOS 6.1 update, camera won’t focus.
It’s frustrating once those problems occured and brought lots of inconvenience. But don’t be panic. Take it easy, the problems will finally be solved. This article instructs you how to solve iPod touch 5, iPhone 5, iPod touch 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad mini stuck in recovery mode and provide you solution to recover lost pictures, photos, contacts, movies, videos, music, apps, ringtones, documents, SMS messages,calendar, notes, call history during the process of updating to iOS 6.1.
Guide to Solve iPod touch 5/iPhone 5 in Recovery Mode updating to iOS 6.1
The guide also applies to fix iPod touch 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad mini in recovery mode issue.
Solution 1: Keep recovering several times
Close all running apps, restart your device. If you are not lucky, try another computer. Make sure you use the latest iTunes (11). You can recover data (mostly photos) from the latest iTunes backup or Firmware or iCloud backup.
Solution 2: Exit recovery mode using Tiny Umbrella if solution 1 does not work
- Download Tiny Umbrella 6. Link is on the right site of this website.
- Install the software and connect iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- Software is showing a connected iPhone/iPad/iPod touch in recovery mode. Press the button “Exit Recovery” in the top of the software.
- Device will get out of recovery and start to install iOS 6 again and restart with iOS 6.
- If you have iTunes backup or iCloud backup, restore your device data from the backup.
After successfully installation, if you experience photo lost, contacts lost or any other data lost. you can recovery all your data with step-by-step guide to recover videos, photos, contacts, SMS, etc from iPad 4, iPad mini, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPhone 5, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 5G and iPod touch 4G again.
Solution 3: Exit recovery mode by perform factory reset
Hold Sleep button and Home button at the same time to reset iPhone devices to factory. Connect iPhone to iTunes (make sure you use the latest iTunes 11) and follow the steps to install iOS 6.1 and recover iPhone data. If you have iTunes backup or iCloud backup, restore your device data from the backup. Otherwise, you will need to use data recovery software for iOS 6.1.